Flight Review -- jetBlue Airways
Date: 08 November 2005
Airline: jetBlue Airways
Flight No.: 1024
Aircraft Registration: N179JB
Seat No.: 21A
Route: JFK--BOS
Scheduled Departure: 06:30
Scheduled Arrival: 07:40
Just before my flight to Washington D.C. (DCA) in October on Delta Shuttle, I was informed jetBlue Airways would begin using their brand new Embraer 190 aircraft on its new route from
New York (JFK) to Boston (BOS) in early November. Hearing so much about what a great airline jetBlue is, I figured, why not try them and be one of the first passengers to ever fly on the Embraer 190?
Booking The Flight
Using the internet, jetBlue has a simple and easy to use website (
www.jetblue.com). Bookings done online are very clear as well. After selecting my departure and arrival cities, the airline allows the customer to select outbound and inbound flights, separate of one another. I like the fact jetBlue has the one-way fares listed next to each flight as well, while other airlines tend to hide this until you have completed selection of flights. This really helped in selecting the cheapest flight. For the inaugural Embraer 190 flight to
Boston, all fares were a $25 promotional one-way fare. What a great way to jumpstart a route with low fares, especially if you're a first time flyer with the airline. Once the flights were selected, it was time to purchase them, and then on to the fun part, seat selection. Booking about a month in advance, the plane was pretty empty with only a few seats occupied toward the front of the aircraft. The Embraer 190 has a total of 100 seats, in a 2-2 configuration. I enjoy photographing wing flap action, so I usually choose to sit behind the wing. jetBlue also offers an inch more legroom at the back of the aircraft as compared to the front, so it worked out perfectly.
jetBlue at JFK-New York
The airlines are always telling their traveling passengers to arrive at the airport at least two hours in advance. While passing security did not take more than 30 minutes, always arrive very early. Security lines sometimes have one hour wait times; always be prepared for that. Once past security, I wasn't really getting a vibe from the looks of their terminal. It was overcrowded with people and with shops, and what's with the palm trees? I understand their approach in making the traveler feel as if he or she were already in Florida, but it was not too aesthetically pleasing, it just added to the confusion in the terminal. Thankfully the aircraft was already at Gate 1, and from the looks of people waiting to board, the route looked like it could turn a profit. Ultimately, jetBlue is really competing with Delta Shuttle's and US Airways'
New York (LGA) to Boston (BOS) route.
Boarding the Aircraft
I was happy to see us begin boarding on time, but what was even better was boarding began from those sitting in the last rows to those sitting in the front. I feel this speeds up the boarding process considerably. On previous flights, as boarding begins from the front back, as passengers try to pass through the aisles, there's interference due to the passengers who previously boarded who are now loading their luggage into the overhead bins.

As I took my seat in 21A, the plane was beginning to fill up for a full flight! I was quite pleased with the comfort of the seats. They were leather with adequate seat pitch & width. The PTV in front of me was a nice size, but I was expecting something more similar to Delta's PTVs. The PTVs on Delta Air Lines are larger with touch screen capability. I didn't like the fact that jetBlue's controls were located in the armrest. What was even more unbelievable was the fact that they weren't going to be turned on the entire flight over to Boston, and for some days, possibly weeks after. The flight attendants informed the passengers that the airline was still working out the setup of the DirecTV on all the brand new Embraer aircraft. That was somewhat disappointing for an inaugural flight, but I didn't mind it much as I never use the PTV at all, except for the flight route map.
As one brick was removed from the pyramid, it began to topple... The Captain welcomed us onboard, and informed us of a delay. I wondered, what could possibly delay us? The plane was at the gate well before boarding, everyone boarded quickly, and we were all ready to go. Walking up to the front of the aircraft, the cockpit door was still open as jetBlue employees from the ground entered the cockpit. I caught a glimpse of the pilots reading the manual to the aircraft. I knew this might have been a problem. jetBlue introduced the aircraft only about a month ago, and the crew did not have sufficient time to fully train in the operation of the aircraft. I felt somewhat uneasy, but I do know the pilots at jetBlue are highly experienced. For what seemed like hours, the pilots were able to figure out the problem and we pushed back from the gate at 0655.
In-Flight Experience
Departing runway 22R to the south, we were in the air at 0716, banking left as we turned back north toward Boston. Once again, the PTVs were nonfunctional, but are usually turned on by this point. It wasn't long before we reached our final cruise altitude of FL170 and the flight attendants began the in-flight snack service. The flight attendants were cheerful, kind, and informative, even though it was early morning. One thing I do want to note is that I've heard a lot of bull about jetBlue being "unaccommodating" to the hungry as far as their snacks go, but seriously, what do you expect? I was very happy to be given a free drink, and a free snack onboard the flight. I asked the flight attendant for another, and he gladly offered. Some airlines don't even offer snacks at all as they try to budget their spending. For this reason, I always pack a sandwich before any flight. What I did like was the choice and variety jetBlue had to offer. Since it was an early morning flight, I ordered water and the famous Terra Blue chips.
Preparation for Landing
The flight whizzed by rather fast as the Captain informed us on the weather in Boston. The flight attendants came around one last time to collect trash, and then disappeared to their jumpseats. As we descended, we made several turns to the right, the one large turn to the left. Lining up for our approach to runway 27, the flaps were set to full and the engines down-throttled. I noticed the Captain inch the nose up as they normally would in an Airbus A320; it was interesting to see how the flight crew were so used to the A320 aircraft. We made a very smooth touchdown at 0759. One thing I noticed was that you hardly felt the wheels hit the ground. A truly great job done by the pilots. We taxied past the American Airlines gates to Terminal C, where we mad our arrival at Gate C29 at 0806.
I expected a little bit more from jetBlue for an inaugural route, but more importantly, the first revenue flight of their new aircraft type. I was also disappointed with the delay although everyone boarded on-time, and the nonfunctional PTVs. I do give the airline credit for the comfort of their seats, the in-flight service, and experienced pilots.
<< Home